Student-athletes representing Duanesburg Central Schools have a responsibility to excel in the classroom as well as on the field of play.
A Recorded Grade of Incomplete
Any athlete who receives a grade of Incomplete on a progress report or report card will have five school days after the eligibility list is posted, to complete all past due assignments and present proof of a passing grade for the course(s). During this period the student remains eligible.
- Once the “Student Athlete” completes all of the past due work, it is his/her responsibility to get the eligibility paperwork from the Athletic Director’s office. This paperwork will be taken to each teacher who recorded an Incomplete. Those teachers will sign off when the past due assignments are completed, and the student has achieved a passing grade.
- If after 5 school days, the “Incomplete” has not been resolved, the athlete will become ineligible and be subject to Academic Restriction.
- Coaches, at their discretion, may require athletes to attend after school study sessions.
Quarterly Reports/Report Cards
One Quarterly Grade of below 65
Student-athletes are expected to maintain a passing grade of 65 or above in all classes. Any athlete who receives a grade below 65 in one course:
- May practice and play
- Must meet with the teacher of the failing course and make a plan of how to raise the grade to passing. This plan will be signed by both the athlete and the teacher, and submitted to the Athletic Director who will forward a copy to the coach.
- Is encouraged to meet regularly with that teacher after school.
Two or More Quarterly Grades Below 65
Athletes who receive 2 or more grades below 65 will be placed on a minimum 5-day Academic Restriction:
• Are ineligible to practice or play for a minimum of 5 school days.• Must attend one Academic Study Session each school day.
• Must attend one Academic Study Session each school day.
• On the 5th day must provide and Academic Report Sheet indicating the current course grade for all subjects to the AD.
• Athletes who at the end of the 5 days, have a grade of 65 or higher in all classes or has only one grade below a 65, become eligible, but must complete Academic Study Sessions for the next 10 school days.
• At the end of the 10 school days if all classes are 65 or above the student may discontinue the Academic Study Sessions.
Failing Grades on Interim Reports
Interim reports are a predictor of performance in courses. Because they are posted only 5 weeks into a quarter, there are times when students have only had the opportunity to post a few grades. If one of these grades is low, it can lead to a low Interim grade. Often these low grades are corrected by the time the Eligibility List is posted. For that reason, Interims will be initially treated differently than Quarterly Grades.
• When the Eligibility List is posted following Interim Reports, any student who had received two failing grades may have the teachers of those courses sign an Academic Report Sheet indicating the student is now in Good Standing. These Athletes are immediately eligible for practice and game, but must submit a weekly Academic Report Sheet to the AD for two weeks.
• Athletes who have not raised their grades to a 65, and are failing 2 or more courses, must follow the same procedures as those who receive a 64 or lower as a Quarterly Grade.
Academic Study Sessions
If a student is experiencing academic difficulties in a course(s) the best person to help that athlete is the teacher of record for that course. The Academic Study Session is a mandatory 30 minutes per school day for the athlete to receive additional assistance in that course(s). This time may be scheduled anytime during the school day. It is the burden of the student to seek out that teacher, or his/her designee and schedule a time to meet with them. The student must receive the signature of the teacher or designee after the completion of each 30 minute session. If the student and the teacher are unable to find a time to meet during the day the student will bring an alternate solution to the Athletic Director for approval.
• 4th Quarter grades will be used to determine eligibility for Fall Sports. Fall athletes will follow the same Academic Guidelines as athletes in other sports seasons.
• Athletes who fail two or more courses are considered on Academic restriction for the fall sport season. If possible, students are encouraged to attend summer school for these courses so they are eligible in August.
• Athletes who are on Academic Restriction may practice in August, but must complete an Academic Report Sheet on the second Friday of the new school year. These students must be in good academic standing (passing all but one course) in order to remain eligible. Any Athlete who receives below a 65 on this Academic Report Sheet must follow the Academic Restriction Guidelines.
Athletes who miss the tryout portion of a Sports Season are at a disadvantage and may lose a spot on the team. In an effort to allow students to improve their grades and earn a spot on a team, athletes are eligible during the initial tryout portion of a season. As soon as coaches have selected their rosters, all students with grades of Incomplete or grades below 65 immediately begin to follow the Academic Restriction Guidelines as indicated. Students with 2 failing grades on a report card are ineligible for 5 practices after tryouts, regardless of current status.
Academic Plan Template
Please contact the Athletic Director’s office for a printed Academic Plan Template to complete.