Duanesburg Elementary School is considering moving from a quarterly reporting period to a trimester schedule for next school year. Interim reports, parent conferences and continuous parent/guardian communication would still take place, with standards-based feedback being provided.
A trimester system would provide teachers with more time to cover content, and students with more time to learn before report cards are issued, over 12-13 weeks (a trimester) instead of 10 weeks (a quarter). Report cards would look the same.
The school calendar would not change. It would have the same number of student days and staff days and the same amount of classroom time for students.
Under a trimester system:
Students would benefit from:
– More consecutive time for academic growth between reporting periods
– More consecutive time for social/emotional growth between reporting periods
– More consecutive time for quality instruction between reporting periods
Parents/guardians would have:
– 6 written communication points, including 3 report cards and 3 interim reports, for all students
– Continued communication with teachers as needed
– An interim report for their students prior to conferences
Staff would have:
– The same number of professional development and work days
– Communication with parents/guardians to share information that matches the cycle of teaching and learning during reporting periods
Staff would benefit from:
– More consecutive time within the reporting period to meet the needs of elementary learners
– More consecutive time within the reporting period for students to demonstrate growth between reporting periods
– More consecutive time within the reporting period for quality instruction between reporting periods
Duanesburg Jr./Sr. High School would not be changing to a trimester schedule; such a change is being considered only for the Elementary School.
Duanesburg Elementary School and its Leadership Team value the thoughts and opinions of parents and guardians as they consider this change. Parents/guardians are encouraged to take a few minutes to complete a short survey via the link below. The survey will close February 28.
Link to Family Survey