Continuum of Services
Duanesburg’s continuum of services enables students with disabilities to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate. This continuum is comprised of the provision of specially designed instruction and supplementary services in a variety of settings as determined appropriate by the Committee on Special Education (CSE). This range of programs and services include the following:
Consultant Teacher Services
Consultant Teacher Services are available at all schools within the Duanesburg Central School District. Consultant teacher services may be direct and/or indirect services provided to a student with a disability who attends regular education classes and/or to such student’s regular education teachers. The CSE determines which services will be provided. Consultant Teacher Services will be provided for a minimum of two hours per week. If provided in combination with Resource Support Services, total services must be for a minimum of three hours per week.
(1) Direct consultant teacher services means specially designed individualized or group instruction provided by a certified special education teacher to a student with a disability in order for the student to benefit from instruction in his or her regular education classes.
(2) Indirect consultant teacher services means consultation provided by a certified special education teacher to regular education teachers to assist them in adjusting the learning environment and/or modifying their instructional methods to meet the individual needs of a student with a disability who attends their classes.
Resource support services are approved by the CSE to supplement instruction provided in the regular or special classroom instruction of students with disabilities who are in need of such supplemental programs. Students who are approved by the CSE to receive resource room services must be provided with a minimum of three hours of instruction per week. Students who are recommended for consultant teacher services and resource room services must be provided with a minimum of three hours of instruction per week.
Related services are recommended by the committee on special education in order to meet the specific needs of a student with a disability as established in the individualized education program (IEP). Related services may be provided in conjunction with a regular education program or with other special education programs and services.
Related Services include, but are not limited to:
- Speech and language therapy
- Occupational therapy (OT)
- Physical therapy (PT)
- School social work
- Teacher of the Deaf
- Home and hospital instruction
- Private school placement
- Transitional support services