Duanesburg is partnering with the Capital Region BOCES to offer Summer Adventure, a website that offers fun, enriching activities to engage elementary school-age children in hands-on and online activities.
New, theme-based activities are posted weekly through Aug. 21, and parents/guardians can sign up for email updates from this free website. They can also share their children’s Summer Adventure creations on social media by using the hashtag #CapRegSummer, or by emailing a photo of their child’s activities to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why not participate in Summer Adventure!
Summer Adventure recognizes that families may not have access to the typical programs and events that occupy kids’ summers due to New York’s phased reopening, and the website can help parents find items suitable to their child, each activity will have a recommended age range and will be grouped into one of the following categories to appeal to kids with all kinds of interests – without breaking the household budget!
- Arts & Crafts – Let your child’s inner artist explore imaginative ways to bring these creations to life!
- Good Reads – Summer is a great time for reading, and we’ve got lots of stories to read aloud, read along and read alone.
- Kitchen Corner – Find fun and easy recipes that you and your child can enjoy making and eating! Plus, our Kitchen Corner will also highlight the BOCE Farm-to-School Initiative and its statewide partners.
- Mindful Moments – Because it’s just as important for children to enjoy some “downtime.” Explore ways for your child to stretch their bodies and calm their minds.
- Music – Get your young ones singing, dancing and listening with activities that highlight the power of song.
- Practice Learning – These activities are great for parents looking to reinforce math and literacy skills over the summer. But we promise, they’re still fun!
- Rainy Day Fun – When the weather just won’t cooperate, check out these ideas for indoor fun, including interactive games and virtual field trips. And don’t miss the opportunity to take advantage of our Virtual Library of e-books through the BOCES Library Automation Service. Even if your school/district isn’t a member, we are giving free access to our students throughout the summer.
- Science at Home – You don’t need a classroom, a lab or even a backyard to tackle these intriguing science “experiments,” but your child will get to play “scientist” with these simple and fun activities.
- Stay Active – Summer Adventure is all about keeping children’s minds AND bodies active, so try out these games and activities to get your kids moving!
- STEAM – Created by Niskayuna High School students, these video-based challenges encourage exploration of science, technology, engineering, arts and math concepts through creative, hands-on projects geared toward their younger peers. Summer Adventure is honored to be partnering with Niskayuna’s NYSTEAMBus program to bring these activities on board!
Summer Adventure is designed for children in kindergarten through fifth grade, and their families will have fun, too!