Duanesburg Jr./Sr. High School’s counseling staff presented a Jr. High School Transition Night in late April, offering a wealth of information for next fall’s incoming 7th grade students and their parents/guardians.
Here’s an outline of their presentation:
Junior High School Facts
- Student drop off in the cafeteria each morning (bus & parent drop off)
- Breakfast before 7:45 a.m. in cafeteria
- Homeroom begins at 7:55 a.m.
- Each class is 42 minutes long
- 4 minute passing time between classes
- Change for PE class – need a lock for gym locker
- Clubs & sports teams available
- Students can stay after school with teachers (2:43-3:20 p.m.)
- Need to sign up for the late bus by noon each day – no Fridays!
- Lunch detention & after school detention 🙁
- Parent & Student Portal
- Team meetings weekly – available for parent conferences, if needed
2019-20 Bell Schedule
- Homeroom: 7:55 – 8:02 a.m.
- Period 1: 8:06 – 8:48 a.m.
- Period 2: 8:52 – 9:34 a.m.
- Period 3: 9:38 – 10:20 a.m.
- Period 4: 10:24 – 11:06 a.m.
- Lunch A: 11:10 – 11:40 a.m.
- Period 5A: 11:43 – 12:25 p.m.
- Period 6: 12:29 – 1:11 p.m.
- Period 7: 1:15 – 1:57 p.m.
- Period 8: 2:01 – 2:43 p.m.
DCS Junior High School Support Team
- Jodi Marvin – School Principal
- Jaclynn Wild – School Counselor (A-La)
- Kristina Goebel – School Counselor (Le-Z)
- Kristin Mills – School Social Worker
- Michelle Hundley – Counseling Center Secretary
- Joanne Newsome – School Nurse
- Penny Hardenstine – Athletic Director
- Maria Longo – Attendance & Sports
- Lori Kuhl – Main Office Secretary
Role of the Counselors
- Check in with students in the fall
- Assist students with academics/social/emotional concerns
- Talk with parents
- Coordinate & facilitate team meetings
- Problem solve
- Math 6 -> Math 8
- Science 6 -> Science 8
- Acceleration criteria is based on what teachers feel are good indicators of success in these classes without taking Math 7 and Science 7
- Counselors will be more than happy to discuss this with families on an individual basis
Meet the Teachers (panel discussion)
- Ms. Graziadei: 7th grade math teacher, basketball coach
- Mrs. Hopkins: 7th grade English teacher, Student Council advisor
Meet Our 7th Grade Students (panel discussion)
- Lauren Capron
- Grant Raymond
- Erin Johnson
- Ryan Martin
7th Grade Orientation
Date TBA, more details to follow
Please fill out an email survey. Take a tour of the building.