The students and staff of Duanesburg Elementary will honor the men and women who have bravely served our country at special Nov. 9 ceremony at their school. They’ll also present donations for wounded soldiers in Germany at the event, which begins at 9 a.m.
Among the veterans and service members to be honored are students’ own family members. Local Duanesburg hero, U.S. Marines veteran April Kellerman, will serve as guest speaker at the annual event, which is hosted by the DES Student Council.
Highlights also will include:
• Elementary children welcoming veterans, singing songs and presenting thank you letters.
• Student Council members giving speeches about the history of Veterans Day.
• Presentation of the Colors by the Saratoga National Cemetery Honor Guard.
• Presentation of letters written by third grade students to attending veterans thanking them for their service.
• Presentation of students’ collection of donated goods and funds to Marcia Carlson of the Wounded Warriors Project for her use in sending care packages to wounded soldiers at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany.
• Performances by the Duanesburg High School Band, directed by Scott Hopkins, of music including “Armed Forces Medley” and “Americans We.”
• A performance of “Taps” by Norman Miller, a local Air Force veteran.