Full-time Transportation Director
Plans, directs the transportation system of a school district; does related work as required.
See requirements below, continued employment contingent upon being reachable on civil service test.
12 month position, Monday through Friday
Deadline for Application:
April 3, 2020
Salaried position; commensurate with experience. The selected applicant will be subject to fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation.
Download and complete a non-instructional application or stop into the DCS district office (central office) for an application, and remit to:
Jeff Rivenburg, Business Official
Duanesburg Central School District
133 School Drive
Delanson, NY 12053
Selected candidates will be contacted for interview.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This is an administrative position involving the responsibility for the safety and efficient operation and maintenance of the transportation program of a school district. The work is performed under direction of the Business Administrator. Supervision is exercised over all transportation personnel.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only):
• Plans, directs and manages the school district transportation system which includes public and private school transportation;
• Plans and administers transportation budget;
• Plans, develops and implements an effective bus safety program;
• Represents and negotiates with employee on contract negotiations;
• Updates district transportation maps and schedules;
• Establishes routes to be followed by bus drivers;
• Establishes time schedules for buses;
• Investigates and files reports on all bus accidents;
• Arranges for all special trips required by the schools;
• Prepares all required New York State Education and Department of Transportation reports;
• Approves all purchase orders and requisitions;
• Maintains time records on transportation personnel for payroll purposes;
• Maintains cost records on transportation operations and personnel;
• Is responsible for recruiting, interviewing and recommending and training;
• Is responsible for the evaluation and following-up of disciplinary procedures of all transportation personnel;
• Acts as liaison between school administrators and parents concerning transportation problems and issues;
• Evaluate the roads to assist the superintendent in making decisions on school closings/delays/early go-homes.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of standard transportation methods and the operation of buses; knowledge of automotive repair methods and the terminology and tools of the trade; good knowledge of modern budget methods and techniques; good knowledge of driving safety practices; good knowledge of New York State Motor Vehicle Laws and applicable regulations of the New York State Transportation Department; ability to plan and direct the work of subordinates; ability to keep records and make reports; ability to get along with others; dependability; good physical condition; ability to deal effectively with the public.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Either:
(A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two-year college with an Associate’s Degree and five (5) years of experience in the maintenance and repair of automotive equipment, operation of multiple passenger vehicles or dispatching of motor equipment, one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or
(B) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and seven (7) years of experience in the maintenance and repair of automotive equipment, operation of a multiple passenger vehicle or dispatching of motor equipment, one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.
Candidates must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid Class B license with P endorsement, issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, at the time of appointment. Needs to be 19A and SBDI certified. Effective October 1, 2005, school bus drivers as defined by Section 142 of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law must possess an S endorsement on their vehicle License.