DCS has numerous courses offering Advanced Placement (AP) or University in the High School (UHS) credit. Different courses have different application procedures. Presentations will be given in content classes offering advanced credit, explaining the application procedure. Students who wish to take any AP/UHS courses must meet the following requirements for each subject are:
- Obtain a teacher recommendation: forms will be available in the Counseling Center and online in early spring. The due date will be posted on the form. Forms will also be provided at the time of presentations.
- Have an 85% average for the first two marking periods in the content area(s) the student is interested in taking.
- Academic records will be reviewed at the end of the year. Students are expected to have an overall GPA of 85%.
- Departments will review academic records, letter of recommendation, and the essay for each student.
- Take the AP exam.
- Pay the UHS/AP fee when applicable.
- A contingency plan may be put in place at the teacher’s discretion in order to allow students who don’t qualify for admission to take the course.
All students interested in being in an AP/UHS course must complete the application process to even be considered for the course.
AP and UHS courses are also offered in other subject areas. Please refer to the course descriptions for application requirements. The courses with a 1.025 multiplier are University in the High School courses. All AP course will receive the 1.05 multiplier.